On the 25th of May, simultaneously with the NATO summit in Brussels, we organise an alternative conference. Several international guests will delve into NATO and the problems related to this trans-atlantic organisation.
The counter summit will start with a plenary session in which four experts will be talking about various issues such as NATO military interventions, military spending, the tensions with Russia and nuclear weapons.
Afterwards it is possible to join workshops, in the morning and in the afternoon, which will involve the public closely in the debate. There are also two 'special sessions'. During the morning panel, four international guests will analyse the impact of NATO on their country. In the afternoon, the panelists will talk about the strategies of the peace movement.
We will also be screening the documentary Shadow World, followed by a discussion.
In the closing plenary session, five guests will discuss the strategies of the peace movement against NATO.
- Location: Institut libre Marie Haps - Aarlenstraat,11 - 1050 Brussels- Belgium
9:30 Opening of the Conference : Welcome
9:45 Plenary Session: Why we need a world without NATO?
- 1. Wars of Nato Global Nato
- 2. NATO, EU militarisation, confrontation with Russia.
- 3. NATO, Military spending & MIC - A Political Economy of the New Cold War?
- 4. Nuclear arms & UN Treaty to ban nuclear arms
11:30 Workshops I
- A.1. NATO Enlargement
- B.1. EU-NATO relations
- C.1. NATO, economic interests, arms industry, arms trade
- D.1. Woman and NATO
11:30 Special Session I: US Nuclear arms in Europe: Nuclear Weapons and how to abolish them? Part I: General analysis of situation
11:30 Special Session II: 2% military investment norm: analysis and strategies in different countries
- Part I: What does 2% mean for different countries and populations?
11:30 Movie Session "Shadow World"
- Part I: screening of film
14:15 Workshops II
- A.2. NATO and Russia - Do we need Helsinki II?
- B.2. NATO, militarisation in the Mediterranean & the refugee crisis
- C.2. Military interventions & the peace movement
- D.2. Media & War
14:15 Special Session I: US nuclear arms in Europe: Nuclear Weapons and how to disarm them?
- Part II: Strategy and campaigns in the countries
14:15 Special Session II: 2% military investment norm: analysis and strategy of different countries Part II: Strategies and actions of peace movements
14:15 Movie Session "Shadow World"
- Part II: Discussion with movie makers
16:00 Final Session: How to delegitimize NATO? Towards a new strategy of the peace movement?
- Panel discussion with representatives of the peace movement
17:30 Closing Remarks
Speakers will be announced soon.